There’s An Echo In Here
An Echo of My Last Post
**I am so sorry. You cannot open the video link. Apparently I could only open it because I currently have an AARP membership. I guess if you are not a member they don’t care if you fall. I’m sorry because it was a great video. 🙁
I get lots of emails related to eldercare and geriatrics. This came today and echoed so closely what I said in my last post I thought we should listen to what the good doctor says with authority and eloquence. I’m sorry I can’t get this particular video to embed. :-(. You’ll have to click the link.
Reiterating his main points:
- 90% of hip fractures are caused by falling
- Install grab bars
- Ensure proper lighting, especially in bedroom, bathroom and hallways used at night
- Keep hallways clear of clutter
- Tack down or get rid of throw rugs (I like his visual image of them being a magic carpet ride to the ER)
- No sock skating, wear shoes or rubber bottomed slippers on hard floors
- Exercise, walk with friends or surprise, take Tai Chi classes like the good doctor does.
- Review medication with your doctor or pharmacist to learn any side effects like dizziness or sleepiness leading to falls